The Solent is already recognised as a leading location for advanced manufacturing and engineering. The area is renowned for its marine sector and is home to 1,750 marine-related businesses, which represents around 18% of the Solent economy, accounts for around 48,000 jobs and is worth around £14bn to the local economy.
One of the south coast's busiest sailing centres, the waters of the Solent make it the location of choice for international businesses and world-leading companies, including Crewsaver and North Sails.
Businesses in the Solent Enterprise Zone at Daedalus could benefit from:
- A discount on business rates worth up to £275,000, or £55,000 a year for five years, provided businesses locate on the Enterprise Zone before March 2015 and meet the eligibility criteria.
- Premises for small and large businesses. The Enterprise Zone is capable of providing for companies needing very large and secure premises.
- A simplified planning regime for the Enterprise Zone is being developed by Fareham and Gosport Borough Councils. Although the bulk of the site will have the benefit of outline planning consent, simplified regulations will make it much easier for occupiers and investors to secure planning consent in the future.
- An existing network of high tech companies in the marine, aerospace and defence industries including Vector Aerospace, STS Defence, Britten Norman, Qinetiq, Marine Concepts and Crewsaver, together with their supply chains and a business services network.
- Superfast broadband, to be newly installed as part of the Government's commitment to support the development of Enterprise Zones.
- Access to the airfield for aviation and aerospace businesses. The airfield is already in active use and further upgrade works are scheduled to take place over the short to medium term with the aim of achieving a CAA commercial licence.
- A marine slipway which will be re-commissioned to provide direct access for marine businesses to Southampton Water.
Companies creating jobs in the key sectors of marine and aerospace will be able to apply for support from the Regional Growth Fund, which has been awarded to support businesses and create jobs on the site.
Companies locating onto the Enterprise Zone will benefit from a local workforce with strong skills developed in specialist industries including advanced manufacture, defence and general engineering.
Find out more about Enterprise Zones on the Department for Communities and Local Government or the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills websites.
Find out more about future development on the site.