Enterprise Zones are areas designated by the government to offer support to businesses by providing financial and other incentives. They aim to create thousands of jobs and unlock new investment and business growth.
The Solent Enterprise Zone at Daedalus focuses on advanced manufacturing within the marine, aerospace and aviation sectors. This builds on the existing strengths of the South Hampshire economy and the local skills base.
Land ownership and management
The Solent Enterprise Zone is led by a partnership:
- Solent Local Enterprise Partnership
- Fareham Borough Council (major land owner and planning authority)
- Gosport Borough Council (planning authority)
- Hampshire County Council (highway authority serving the site)
- Homes and Communities Agency
The Solent Enterprise Zone is steeped in military history and was used as a seaplane base in the First World War. The site has also been used as a training centre by both the RAF and the Royal Navy over the years.
The site was decommissioned from military activities in 1996 and purchased by the public sector in 2006. It received statutory designation as one of 24 Enterprise Zones nationally in 2012.